Adult Attachment, Dating, & Relationships
We offer couples therapy and therapy for single people who want to find a relationship or improve their dating skills. Our therapists will help you understand your relationships by teaching you about the concept of attachment.
What is attachment?
As humans we ALL have an attachment style. It is formed in the first few years of life, based on the interactions we have with our parents or caregivers. It is the FOUNDATION of how we relate to our adult relationships – romantic partners, friends, family, and children. Attachment is hard wired into our brains and it can create a range of emotions, behaviors, and thoughts when we are dating or in a relationship.
Most people have NO IDEA that our brains have such a powerful influence on dating or our relationships… even with little things, like worrying if someone is going to text you back, ghosting, or playing hard to get with a partner who is distancing from you, or feeling suffocated by a partner who needs a lot of reassurance.
- Do you feel like you hide your true self out of fear that your partner won’t approve of you or like you?
- Do you struggle with a lot of worry and insecurity when you’re dating someone and you’re afraid you come off as too “needy” and “clingy” and drive partners away?
- Are you in a relationship that leaves you questioning whether you should leave, but you just can’t seem to get the motivation to leave?
- Do you find that you love your partners more than you ever feel you’re loved in return?
- Do you sabotage relationships when things get close?
- Have you ever found yourself threatening to leave or breakup with a partner when you’re upset, but you secretly wish they would beg for you to stay?
- Do you have a hard time being physically, emotionally, or sexually intimate with your partners?
- Do you keep dating people who are afraid to commit?
- Are you terrified to date because intimacy scares you?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, your attachment style is likely a factor. Learning about your attachment style is the first step in helping you understand your past, your present, and your future relationships.